The Hyde Amendment prohibits the use of federal money for abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or when the mother’s life is in danger for all federally administered health care plans. This is more than just a reproductive rights issue. It is an economic and racial justice issue, as the Hyde Amendment disproportionately impacts low-income individuals and limits their access to abortion services.
As the United States’ only federal family planning program, Title X provides access to affordable birth control, cancer screenings, and other critical preventive health services. As a result of the recently implemented domestic gag rule, many health care clinics have been forced to withdraw from the Title X program, rendering reproductive health care access unattainable for millions of Americans. Urge the Senate to include provisions in the fiscal year 2020 funding bills that protect Title X and promote reproductive health care access for Americans who need it.
RAC Reproductive Rights Blog Roll 1cb
Latest Updates on Reproductive Rights
To learn more, visit the following websites:
- RAC Comprehensive Sex Education Issue Page
- PRRI Polling Data on Views on Abortion
- National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League (NARAL)
- National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW)
- National Family Planning and Reproductive Health Association (NFPRHA)
- NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Planned Parenthood
- Sexuality Information and Education Council of the U.S. (SIECUS)
- Sex Information and Education Council of Canada (SIECCAN)