June is LGBTQ+ Pride Month! Hosting a Pride Shabbat service or program is an excellent way to honor the movement for LGBTQ+ equality and inclusion, to celebrate recent victories against discrimination, and to commit to the work ahead. This year, the RAC is joining our interfaith partners in launching Faith for Pride: a month-long effort to highlight religious support for LGBTQ+ equality. Check out the website to find an event near you or register your own event! Use the resources below to help you plan a Pride Shabbat in your congregation or home!
- Trans Inclusion Resource Guide from the URJ & Keshet
- URJ Quick Guide to Pronouns
- Download both the LGBTQ+ Educational Resource Module and JOC Educational Resource Module.
- LGBTQ+ Terminology from Keshet
LITURGY AND JEWISH TEXT
- Selected liturgy, readings and poems
- TransTorah references to 6 genders in the Torah
- Love Wins: A Pride Prayer (In Memoriam, Orlando)
- Download and use Mishkan Ga'Avah: Where Pride Dwells, a groundbreaking collection of LGBTQ+ prayers, poems, liturgy, and rituals that can serve as an affirming and enriching addition to your Shabbat celebrations during Pride or year-round.
- Queer Lives, Unrecognized Blessings. Delivered by Rabbi Nikki DeBlosi (she/her) 2020
- Fighting for the Marginalized. Delivered by Rabbi Bryan Mann (he/him) 2019
- A Thread of Blue: Queer perspectives on tzitzit. Delivered by Maria Pulzetti (she/her) 2021
- Shabbat Sermon: Pride. Delivered by Rabbi Debbie Young-Somers (she/her) 2021
- Trans Day of Visibility is Just a Start blog post
- Transgender Awareness Week blog post
- Your Rights Should Not Depend on Where You Live blog post
- Wholly Jewish podcast
- Urge the Senate to swiftly pass the Equality Act to provide civil rights protections for all LGBTQ+ people.
- Fill out this form to register your event with Faith for Pride! Your event will be displayed on our website, which houses a map of services and programs happening throughout the country during Pride Month.
RESOURCES FOR FAMILIES
- Check out Jewish-American LGBTQ+ activist Lindz Amer's "Queer Kid Stuff" videos
- Bake a Rainbow Challah
- Check out these other Rainbow Recipes
- 6 Jewish LGBTQ+ Affirming Children's Books
- Trevor Project 2022 National Survey on LGBTQ Youth Mental Health
- Human Right Campaign State Equality Index 2021
- Center for American Progress LGBTQI+ Nondiscrimination Laws Improve Economic, Physical, and Mental Well-Being
- Center for American Progress The State of the LGBTQ Community in 2020
- 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey