Energy Efficiency Tips
- When purchasing a new appliance, look for the Energy Star label, indicating certification as a highly energy efficient product.
- Use compact florescent bulbs, which are more energy efficient.
- Make your home energy-efficient. Insulate your home, make sure that windows are well sealed and regulate the thermostat.
- Do the simple stuff: turn off the lights when you leave a room and don't leave the water running when you brush your teeth.
- Purchase efficient, renewable energy alternatives for your home, which vary from state to state.
- Buy recycled products and items in reusable or recyclable packaging.
- Bring a canvas bag for shopping to avoid unnecessary plastic or paper bags.
- Invest in companies that provide clean energy and engage in shareholder advocacy to affect the environmental policy of companies in which you own stock.
- Find ways to go green all year long - at home, work, and synagogue - with the new Greening Reform Judaism online resource at www.urj.org/green.