What You Can Do
Learn how you can help stop the violence.
- Include Darfur as part of your Passover Seder. Sample Seder material has been prepared by the Save Darfur Coalition.
- Invite a speaker for Shabbat services and encourage your rabbi to give a drash on Darfur.
- Organize a demonstration or a vigil. If you are in DC or NYC you can hold a demonstration in front of the Sudanese embassy or the United Nations. Organize a vigil at your high school or synagogue. Reach out to other groups in your community. Interfaith Prayers can be found on the RAC website. Sample Prayers for Use in Jewish and Interfaith Worship can be found on the Save Darfur Coalition website.
- Hold a press conference to release a statement calling for action.
- Meet with members of Congress and urge them to be more vigilant on this issue.
- Send emails, letters, faxes and phones calls by visiting the RAC's Legislative Action Center and urging the President to use his diplomatic strength to encourage the Sudanese government to accept UN Peacekeeping forces.
- Send letters to the ambassadors to the UN of Security Council member states and urge them to insist on prompt action to immediately deploy UN peace keeping troops to stabilize the situation (all member states of the Security Council can be found here.)
- Write op-eds and letters to the editor.
- Collect signatures for a petition. Remember that petitions should include the names and addresses of the signatories and the petition statement should be printed on the top of each page.
- Put together a photo exhibit featuring pictures from Darfur (See photographs on Save Darfur website).
- Join the Green Ribbon Campaign by wearing a green ribbon, button, or rubber bracelet to support the innocent people at risk of death in the Sudanese region of Darfur, and in memory of those already dead. Use the ribbon as an opportunity to explain to others the importance of the cause. Green bracelets can be purchased through the Save Darfur Coalition. Try selling the bracelets to raise money for relief efforts and raise awareness by printing and distributing postcards with information about the genocide.
- Raise awareness by showing a video on Darfur such as those from Human Rights Watch, or host a screening of Hotel Rwanda and talk about the parallels between Rwanda and Sudan. Download Darfur videos here. Other good films include: God Grew Tired Of Us, Darfur Diaries, Darfur Now, The Sand and Sorrow, The Devil Came on Horseback. Defying Genocide [from the US Holocaust Memorial Museum], and Darfur: A Call to Action
- Hold a concert or other event to raise money to aid the relief efforts. Feature a local band and ask for donations at the door for humanitarian relief.
- Donate funds to the Reform Movement's Sudan Relief Fund. Click here to make a donation on-line, or send checks payable to the Union for Reform Judaism (write "Sudan Relief Fund" in the memo section of your check) to:
Union for Reform Judaism, Attn:Sudan Relief
633 Third Ave. 7th Floor
New York City, NY 10017
Donations to the Union’s Sudan Relief Fund will be used to provide humanitarian aid to the people of Sudan through reputable agencies. The Reform Movement will work with its coalition partners in the Jewish Coalition for Disaster Relief , convened by the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee , and the Save Darfur Coalition , convened by the American Jewish World Service and the US Holocaust Memorial Museum, to identify the most appropriate recipients of these humanitarian funds.